- Sheffield - 30th April 2018
- 13:00pm - 16:30pm
- Pam Liversidge Design Studio 1 - D06
- How much data would you lose if your laptop was stolen?
- Have you ever emailed your colleague a file named ‘final_final_versionEDITED’?
- Have you ever struggled to import your spreadsheets into R?
As a researcher, you will encounter research data in many forms, ranging from measurements, numbers and images to documents and publications. Whether you create, receive or collect data, you will certainly need to organise it at some stage of your project. This workshop will provide an overview of some basic principles on how we can work with data more effectively. We will discuss the best practices for research data management and organisation so that our research is auditable and reproducible by ourselves, and others, in the future.
Who should attend this course?
Researchers wanting to know how they can organise their data more effectively and work towards ensuring reproducibility of results.
Aims:- After this course you should be able to:
- Differentiate the pros and cons of using spreadsheets and avoid the common pitfalls in spreadsheet manipulation
- Use an appropriate backup strategy for your data
- Organise your files in a more structured and consistent manner
- Known what resources are available at The University of Sheffield for Research Data Management and Data Sharing
Objectives:- During this course you will learn about:
- Reproducible research, and why it is critical for modern research
- Tips and tricks to make sure that your spreadsheets are readable by programming languages such as R
- Learn how to use the OpenRefine software for data cleaning
- Options for backing up files on your computer
- Ideas for naming and organising your files
- Strategies for exchanging files with collaborators
You will need to install the OpenRefine software. This is free and available for Windows and Mac OSX. Download links are provided below:-
- Example patient data for Open Refine Practical - Right-click on link and select Save Link As…
Timetable and Links to Materials
- 13:00 - 13:15 Course Overview
- 13:15 - 13:45 Data Formatting
- 13:45 - 14:45 Open Refine Demo
- 15:00 - 16:30 File Management and Data Sharing at The University of Sheffield
- Please use this feedback form to give us feedback after the course and help us improve it for future sessions.
Registration is now closed. If you wish to be kept informed of future dates for this, and other courses, you can sign-up to our mailing list.
- Data Carpentry Open Refine for Ecology
- The Data Organisation Tutorial by Karl Broman
- The Quartz guide to bad data
- Three common bad practices in sharing tables and spreadsheets and how to avoid them
- Five Selfish Reasons to work reproducibly - Florian Markowetz
- Keith Baggerly lecture on Duke reproducibility scandal
- Biologists: this is why bioinformaticians hate you…